Shark Week in Bonaire
In case you didn’t know Bonaire has its own Shark Week, but it’s different and environmentally oriented to the other ones that you have heard about. Currently, STINAPA is launching this week filled with information and many other activities centered on shark awareness and conservation.
This project is an initiative of the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance. Sharks are in trouble around the world, that’s the reason, all six Dutch Caribbean islands and the Netherlands will be launching awareness and conservation campaigns focusing on the importance of sharks in Dutch waters and worldwide.
Check out the schedule:
- Saturday August 22nd from 12pm to 6pm – there is a sustainable fishing Lion fish hunt in the Willem Alexander Marine Reserve next to Karpata. In the evening from 6-9pm there will be prizes for the hunters at Kant’i Awa Snack and Kas di Regatta. There will also be information on sharks, music and free goat soup. Gaston’s drink prices are the best on the island.
- From Monday August 24th to Friday August 28th there will be educational programs about sharks at Jong Bonaire from 3:30 pm to 5 pm.
- Monday evening August 24th in the Captain Don’s Habitat conference room from 7 to 8 pm there will be a presentation about sharks and STINAPA’s Save our Sharks Project.
- The same presentation will take place at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort & Casino’s meeting room on Thursday August 27th from 7 to 8 pm.
- On Saturday August 29th there will be a movie called Shark Water at Captain Don’s Habitat conference room starting at 7 pm.
- On Sunday, August 30th, is the shark week extravaganza at Wilhelmina Park during the Taste of Bonaire from 4 to 8 pm with a variety of games for kids, face painting and a whole lot more. We will be right next to the Time Capsule and El Mundo restaurant.
Looking for an exciting activity to do during the summer? Come to Bonaire!